20030819: ldm-6.0.14 compiler errors: missing ssize_t definition

Fred,

> To: "'Unidata Support'" <address@hidden>
> From: "Kopp, Fred" <address@hidden>
> Subject: ldm-6.0.14 compiler errors

> I have tried to install ldm 6, but have an error in ulog.c
> The logs are enclosed.
>
> Thank you
>
> Fred Kopp
> South Dakota School of Mines
> Rapid City, SD

> Making `all' in directory /usr/local/ldm/ldm-6.0.14/src/ulog
>
>       cc -c -O   -I../config ulog.c
> cc-1084 cc: ERROR File = /usr/include/stdio.h, Line = 53
>   The indicated declaration has an invalid combination of type specifiers.
>
>   typedef int         ssize_t;
>                       ^

The above indicates a problem in your compilation/development
environment: the inclusion of a standard C header-file
(/usr/include/stdio.h) should never result in an undefined type.
I suggest you show the above to your systems administrator.

You might have an old version of the compiler or operating system.

Look at the file "/usr/include/stdio.h" and try to see if there's a C
macro that must be defined in order to obtain a definition of the
"ssize_t" datatype.  If you see one, then try rebuilding the LDM package
with that macro defined, e.g.,

    1.  Define the relevant C macro in the environment variable
        CPPFLAGS, e.g.,

            export CPPFLAGS=-D...

        or

            setenv CPPFLAGS -D...

        depending on your user-shell.

    2.  Follow the instructions at

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/ldm/ldm-6.0.14/install/source-install-steps.html

If you want, you can send me the file "/usr/include/stdio.h" and I'll
have a look at it.

Alternatively, we'll be happy to install the LDM for you and "tune-up"
your installation as well.  We'll need the fully-qualified name of the
host (which must allow remote logins -- preferably via ssh(1)) the LDM
user's name (typically "ldm") and the LDM user's password.  You can
deliver the password via the telephone.  My number is 303-497-8648.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson
LDM Developer