20030815: LDM-6 upgrade on twister.sbs.ohio-state.edu

>From: Unidata User Support <address@hidden>

Hi Chris,

I have been working with sites to upgrade LDM installations to the
latest release, LDM-6.0.14.  Since we had the login for 'ldm' on
your machine (twister), I took the liberty of doing as much of
the LDM-6.0.14 installation as I could.  I am requesting that you
do the following steps to finish the LDM-6.0.14 upgrade:

<as 'root'>
cd /usr/local/ldm/ldm-6.0.14/src
/usr/ccs/bin/make install_setuids

<as 'ldm'>
cd ~ldm
ldmadmin stop
rm runtime
ln -s ldm-6.0.14 runtime
ldmadmin start

(I adjusted entries in ~ldm/ldm-6.0.14/bin/ldmadmin to match the
settings you are currently using in ~ldm/bin/ldmadmin, so things are
set to run).

While on your machine, I noticed that you were using a very old version
of the ldm-mcidas decoders, v7.6.3.  I upgraded you to the latest
ldm-mcidas release, v2003 as follows:

<as 'ldm'>
cd ~ldm
mkdir ldm-mcidas
cd ldm-mcidas
ftp ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
  <user> anonymous
  <pass> full_email_address
  cd pub/binary/sunos_5.8-sparc
  binary
  get ldm-mcidas-2003.tar.Z
  quit
zcat ldm-mcidas-2003.tar.Z | tar xvf -
rm ldm-mcidas-2003.tar.Z
cd ldm-mcidas-2003/bin
cp pnga2area ~ldm/decoders
rm ~ldm/decoders/lwtoa3                  <- lwtoa3 is no longer used
cd ../etc
cp SAT* ~/etc

I then modified your pqact.conf file entries for pnga2area to use the
copies of SATANNOT and SATBAND that I just copied to ~ldm/etc; ran
'ldmadmin pqactcheck' to verify that I didn't make any typos; and sent
a HUP to pqact: 'ldmadmin pqactHUP'.  I made these mods to make your
ldm-mcidas installation look "standard".  It, at least, matches the
intallation/upgrade instructions in our ldm-mcidas web pages :-).

After watching your UNIWISC data ingestion until I saw images coming in
and being correctly decoded, I moved the old ldm-mcidas distribution
you had been using to under the ~ldm/ldm-mcidas directory:

cd ~ldm
mv ldm-mcidas-7.6.3 ldm-mcidas

Cheers,

Tom Yoksas