20030804: ldm back data (cont.)

>From: address@hidden

Adam,

>Thanks,

No charge ;-)

>You told me exactly what i needed to know.  Our main injest machine tornado
>Sunblade 100) is only relaying for us.  Basically tornado receives it from
>LSU and then dishes it out to our other two or three machines; one decoded,
>one views, etc...

OK.  I was under the impression that tornado was a Linux box.  Did this
change?

>Tornado is currently running with a 1 Gig queue.  My main problem was
>that sometimes i would take down a system for an upgrade or configuration
>change and then get called away for many hours just to come back and be
>missing data.

I know the situation.

>That is why i set up the Sun Blade as a middle man, LDM only, computer.
>
>As far as the memory part is concerned, the Sun Blade only has 128Mb!!!

Ouch!  I have more than that in my camera!!

>Not to much.  I do understand how the memory swaping works and see your
>concern.  Disk usage is moderate right now on it with the new 2Gig queue.

>And my pqact's only entry files WMO stuff to /dev/null so that the LDM will
>be happy.

If you are using tornado as a relay only, there is no need to run pqact
at all.  I recommend that you simply comment out the 'exec' line for
pqact in tornado's ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf and then stop and restart the
LDM:

<edit ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf and comment out exec line for pqact>
ldmadmin stop
ldmadmins start

>Hopefully
>after a day or two the disk usage won't be to high on it.  Anyways, again,
>i thank you for your time.

>Thanks Again

No worries.

Tom