20030728: LDM-6 installation at UNCA

>From:  "Matthew J. Rosier" <address@hidden>

Hi Alex,

Matt passed along the following:

The note I sent out had a list of recepients, so it may have looked like
spam to a filter.  This is the only scenario I can imagine where you
wouldn't get that mail.

>> Leigh Orf had set up LDM on storm2 in a best
>> way he could before he left for Michigan in summer.  I know that LDM has a
>> newer version ready, but I prefer to waiting on it until later date.

I want to take this opportunity to try and convince you to allow me to
upgrade your LDM to the latest release, LDM-6.0.14, and to tune up
the entries in your ldmd.conf file.  Given the appropriate login information
(ldm password and either sudo for ldm or the root password), I can
do the upgrade in less than a half hour.  The upgrade will not only make
your data ingestion more reliable, but it will also make the relay
by your upstream site(s) more efficient.

>> I will contact Tom
>> for assistance if and when LDM is not working, but at this
>> moment, I want to
>> sit on it.   I know he can fix anything in no time, so I am
>> confident he can
>> help us out if necessary.

If there is a reason that I don't see for not upgrading the LDM, I
will understand and quit pestering you.

One other thing, I sent out a note to the ldm-users, gembud, and
mcidas-x email lists requesting input on substantial changes to the
Unidata-Wisconsin datastream (IDD feedtype UNIWISC aka MCIDAS).  The
biggest impact of the change is substantial increase in data volume.  I
was hoping for input from smaller schools like UNCA, but I have not
received much so far.  The Unidata HomePage
(http://my.unidata.ucar.edu) has the announcement of the proposed
change with a link to a page that shows the increase in temporal and
spatial coverage proposed in a link.  Could you and/or Matt take a look
and give me feedback?  Thanks in advance!