20030724: pqact regular expression question

>From: Celia Chen <address@hidden>

Celia,

>I have been using the following pqact line to file the raw ACARS
>data for years without problems:
>
>FSL3    ^FILTER.*.(20..)(...)(......).* FILE    /weather/ACARS/\1\2/\3

The only advice I would give you regarding the regular expression you
are using is to remove the trailing '.*' as it is not needed and it
makes pqact work extra hard.  The other thing I would note is that if
you are really trying to match the period just before the first
parenthesis, then you should escape it.  The '.' you have there
now will match any character, not just a '.'.

The transformed pqact.conf entry would then read:

FSL3    ^FILTER.*(20..)(...)(......)
        FILE    /weather/ACARS/\1\2/\3

or, if the '.' is needed:

FSL3    ^FILTER.*\.(20..)(...)(......)
        FILE    /weather/ACARS/\1\2/\3

>Directories like
>/weather/ACARS/2003199 (yyyyddd)
>would be created and files were put in the correct directory.
>
>This morning I got a report from the person who is monitoring the ACARS
>data that the raw ACARS directories and files were in the wrong places
>for the last five days - she has been on vacation for five days.  For
>some reason,  data directories look like
>/weather/ACARS/2051954 (dddhhmm)
>were created by LDM and files for 1954 were placed in the directory.

What do the FSL3 headers look like?  You would get this from a notifyme
to your machine:

notifyme -vxl- -o 3600 -f FSL3

>I finally got the subdirectory to be created correctly and files to be
>placed in the correct directory with the following pqact line:
>
>FSL3    ^FILTER.ACARS.UATurbulence.(20..)(...)(......).*        FILE    /scrat
> ch/ldm/ACARS/\1\2/\3

Without being able to see some of the FSL3 headers, it is hard to comment
on why your first pattern stopped working the way you wanted it to.

>I was just wondering if there has been some LDM changes made that could
>have caused the above behaver.

There have been no changes to the regular expression parsing/use for several
years.

Tom