20030725: LDM access by anonymous FTP

>From:  Mark Bradford <address@hidden>

Mark,

re: anonymous FTP
>> The easiest way to get the distribution is through anonymous FTP:
>>
>> ftp ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
>>   <user> anonymous
>>   <pass> address@hidden
>>   cd pub/ldm
>>   binary
>>   get ldm-6.0.14.tar.Z
>>   quit
>
>I tried that first thing, Tom, but ftp.unidata.ucar.edu is not accepting
>FTP connections:
>
>ingest@torrent (/ingest/ldm) ftp ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
>Connected to ftp.unidata.ucar.edu.
>421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
>ftp>
>(Similar results with ncftp.)

This must be some sort of security perimeter thing.  I just did the FTP
from motherlode.ucar.edu (which spans the security perimeter) and
papagayo.unl.edu, a site at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln which
is definitely outside of the security perimeter.

Do you have a site I can FTP the distribution to?

re: Please use 6.0.14.  It has some important bugfixes.

>Okay.

>I was just reading the release notes, and see that ldmadmin now exits if
>the hostname is not a FQDN; why is that?  I'm not terribly inclined to
>change how I manage hostnames unless it's strictly necessary...

Acually, you can specify the fully qualified domain name in ldmadmin
if the return of 'uname -n' does not return one.  The lines to be concerned
about are:

# The fully-qualified domain-name of the computer system.  If you have to set
# this manually, then do the following:
#     1) Replace "your.hostname.here" in the following commented-out statement
#        with the fully-qualified domain-name of the computer system;
#     2) Uncomment-out the same line by removing the leading hash (#) character;
#        and
#     3) Comment-out the "chop" line by inserting a leading hash (#) character.
#
chop($hostname = `uname -n`);
# $hostname = "your.hostname.here";

So, if 'uname -n' is not a FQDN, simply comment out the 'chop' line,
fill in 'your.hostname.here', and uncomment the $hostname line.

>Thanks!

No worries.