20030718: rpc processes won't die

Hi Carl,

> To: address@hidden
> From: Carl Sinclair <address@hidden>
> Subject: LDM problem

> There is a problem with LDM.  I'm using LDM 6.0.13.  I am requesting
> data from a server that is also running LDM 6.0.13.  For some reason,
> the data will stop flowing.  I have to restart my LDM to get the data
> flowing from that server again.  The strange thing is, LDM is still
> collecting data from other servers.  On occasion, I have to manually
> kill (kill -9) the rpc processes because they won't die.  I don't know
> if anyone there is aware of this problem, but it is a serious flaw from
> my point of view.  If there is a quick fix, I'd love to hear it.

We're working on an infrequent problem that seems similar to yours:
occasionally, an upstream LDM process will hang trying to write to a
downstream LDM process.  We think we've fixed this problem and a new
version should be released early next week that contains the fix.

Otherwise, can you attach a debugger to the hung process and get a stack
trace?  You might have to do this as root becuase the LDM executable is
set-uid root.

> Carl
>
> --
> Carl Sinclair