20030611: LDM logging on RedHat 8.0 (cont. from McIDAS discussion)

>From: Robert Mullenax <address@hidden>

Robert,

re: reason McIDAS data is being written in a different location from GEMPAK

>I am trying to spread I/O over three disks without doing a RAID.  McIDAS
>data on one disk, most of the the GEMPAK on the second, and GEMPAK model,
>profiler, image data on a third.

OK, makes sense.

>Thanks for the assistance.  I was going to make the change  you did moving
>the stuff to decoders as that consolidates things., so you saved me the
>trouble.

No worries.

>I am going back to Houston now as this thing is up and going for the most
>pasrt..enough so I can work from home.

OK.

>I am sure something will come up later.  I will let you know when access info
>changes and when it is fully on line.

OK.

>My ldmd.log stuff is going to /var/log/messages instead of where it's
>supposed to go.  Do you have a correct ldm-ized syslog.conf for RH 8.0?

The entry for RH 8 is the same for other OSes:

#
# LDM messages on local0
#
local0.debug                            /local/ldm/logs/ldmd.log

I logged on and made the change to your /etc/syslog.conf file, sent
a HUP to syslogd, and now LDM things are being logged to ~ldm/logs/ldmd.log.

Just so you know, I took this opportunity to once again time the build
of McIDAS-X/-XCD.  This time, however, I stopped the LDM and made sure
that the system was idling when I started the build.

The verdict is in: a full McIDAS-X/-XCD build takes 00:07:14 on your
system.  Again for reference, it took 00:05:37 on our dual Athlon 2400+
machine running FreeBSD 4.8.  I think that this goes a long way towards
demonstrating that FreeBSD is pretty darn fast!

>Thanks for all the help,

Glad to help out.

Tom

>From address@hidden Thu Jun 12 07:17:49 2003

re: syslog.conf entries for LDM logging under RedHat 8.0 Linux

#
# LDM messages on local0
#
local0.debug                            /local/ldm/logs/ldmd.log

I logged on and made the change to your /etc/syslog.conf file, sent
a HUP to syslogd, and now LDM things are being logged to ~ldm/logs/ldmd.log.

>Thanks I appreciate it.

re: build speeds on Dell 2x2.4 P4 vs noname 2x2400 Athlon; FreeBSD wins
the speed race