20030519: LDM not logging on Sun Solaris 5.8 (cont.)

>From: Chris Novy - Systems <address@hidden>

Hi Chris,

>It turns out the entries *were* in the /etc/syslog.conf file.  Also, all
>the other system file entries appear to be intact and correct.

OK.

>I did a
>hupsyslog and a restart of LDM as well but still am not getting any
>entries written into the log files.

In this case, I would assume that syslogd is wedged, and I would kill
and restart it.  This will need to be done as 'root':

find process ID of syslogd and do:

kill pid

/usr/sbin/syslogd

After restarting syslogd, I would stop and restart the LDM (this
should not be entirely necessary but it can't hurt).

>Is it possible that the sysadmin
>disabled something (RPC?) that could be stopping things at a higher level
>than where I'm playing around?

I don't think so.

>You're welcome to take a peek at my system files if you like.

I feel pretty confident that the logging problem is a wedged syslogd.
The reason that I am confident is I have run into the exact same situation
on more than one occasion under Solaris installations that were not
up to current patch levels.

If stopping and restarting syslogd does not solve your problem, I would
like to login and poke around.

Tom