20030518: LDM not logging on Sun Solaris 5.8

>From: Chris Novy - Systems <address@hidden>

Hi Chris,

>Is there any reason you can think of why there's nothing in my ldmd.log
>file?   Doing a tail command shows no activity.  Is it possible I
>corrupted the log file somehow and LDM can't write to it?

Corruption of the log file is not likely.  Each time the LDM is stopped
and restarted the log file ~ldm/logs/ldmd.log moved to a new name
(rotated) and a new one gets created.

What is more likely is necessary LDM entries in /etc/syslog.conf
are not setup/not setup correctly.

Was logging working?  If yes, then did you change anything in
/etc/syslog.conf?  If no, is syslogd running?  Did you ever
setup /etc/syslog.conf to support logging?

I am betting that syslogd is not running.  syslogd exiting is a known
bug on Sun Solaris for which there have been patches issued.  If
syslogd is not running, you will need to restart it as 'root':

/usr/sbin/syslogd

If syslogd _is_ running, then it might be wedged.  In this case
you will have to stop and restart it as 'root'.

Please let us know if your problem is not related to syslogd.