20030516: RPC timed out and cannot contact portmapper

Hi Jacques,

> To: "'address@hidden'" <address@hidden>,
> To: "'address@hidden'" <address@hidden>
> From: "Jacques, Rodney" <address@hidden>
> Subject: RPC timed out and cannot contact portmapper

> I am having trouble solving a problem with my LDM server connection to
> galileo.slc.noaa.gov
>
> I keep getting an error:
> RPC timed out and cannot  contact portmapper
> after I perform the ldmping to galileo.
>
> Any hints?

Sounds like they're not "picking up the phone", so to speak.

In diagnosing the problem, it might help to bypass the LDM system
completely.  What does the following command print?

    rpcinfo -T tcp galileo.slc.noaa.gov 300029 5

On my system, it prints

    rpcinfo: RPC: Unknown host

If that seems to work and it indicates that the LDM is using port 388,
then what does this command print?

    rpcinfo -n 388 -t galileo.slc.noaa.gov 300029 5

On my system this prints

    rpcinfo: galileo.slc.noaa.gov: n2a: hostname not found

These commands don't work on my system because my system can't resolve
the name "galileo.slc.noaa.gov":

    $ nslookup galileo.slc.noaa.gov
    ** server can't find galileo.slc.noaa.gov: NXDOMAIN

I wonder if galileo.slc.noaa.gov is behind a firewall.  You might
consider talking to its system administrator.  Ensure that he knows that
traffic on port 338 must be allowed to pass.

> Rodney Jacques
>
> Meteorological Sciences Officer (MSO)
> NAVPACMETOCCEN San Diego, N5
> address@hidden