20030429: LDM - Solaris 7 - Authentication error - requester6.c:254

Bryan,

> To: address@hidden
> From: "Bryan White" <address@hidden>
> Subject: LDM - Solaris 7 - Authentication error - requester6.c:254

> Institution: University of Utah
> Package Version: 6.0.10
> Operating System: Solaris 7
> Hardware Information: Sun... one is ultra 10 another is an E450
> Inquiry: Been running 6.0.10 on our main machine (cirp) for a few weeks.
>
> Have a second machine a NWS office that stopped giving data yesterday.
> Couldn't figure out why.  Thought it was a good time to upgrade the NWS
> machine to 6.0.10.  Once I did, the data started flowing again.
>
> The NWS machine feeds data to our main machine (cirp).
>
> Howerver, started seeing the following message in the main machine's logs:
>
>  cirp.met.utah.edu met20[21199]: NOTICE: requester6.c:254: Upstream LDM
> didn't reply to FEEDME request; requester6.c:253: RPC: Authentication error;
> why = (authentication error 5)
>
> What/Why/How is the error?... should I be worried.

I suspect that met20's LDM configuration-file won't allow it to
send data to cirp.met.utah.edu (i.e., the no ALLOW entry for
cirp.met.utah.edu).

> btw... I'm unable to get ldmd.log* logs off of the NWS machine.
> Stopped mysteriously over a year ago and can't them to show up.

Look at /etc/syslog.conf.  Does it have an entry for "local0.debug" that
sends log messages to the LDM log files on that system?

Regards,
Steve Emmerson