20030424: remote LDM 6 installation and tuneup by the UPC

Paul,

>Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 10:55:03 -0400
>From: Paul Ruscher <address@hidden>
>To: Steve Emmerson <address@hidden>

> Thanks, Steve!!!  Paul

You're most welcome.

You indicated that you'd like to postpone the upgrade of Pluto to LDM 6.
We'd really like to convince you to let us do it now because the other
universities that Pluto feeds, namely

    Florida International University
    University of South Florida
    Georgia Tech
    University of Central Michigan

are having a hard time getting up-to-date data.  For example, the
latencies for the HDS, IDS|DDPLUS, and FSL2 feeds to the University of
South Florida were recently 1083, 1091, and 3601 seconds, respectively.
The last value means that Arlene Laing is LOOSING DATA.  The only way to
fix this situation is to upgrade Pluto to LDM 6.

We are willing to GUARANTEE the SUCCESS of the upgrade and to monitor
Pluto for as long as necessary to ensure success.

We've done this successfully on about two dozen systems so far and
have yet to encounter a problem.  In fact, it's doubtful that you'd even
notice the switch (except for receiving data quicker).

With Regards,
Steve Emmerson,
Tom Yoksas,
Steve Chiswell