20030422: Changes at LSU; upgrade to LDM-6 (cont.)

>From: Robert Leche <address@hidden>

Hi Bob,

>Thanks for offering to help with the upgrade. I am reasonably confident that
>I can perform the upgrade myself however.

This was never in question, it is just that I am on a tear right now,
so doing installations is taking next to no time (as long as I have
appropriate access to the machine to be upgraded).

>As so often happens when working
>on a shoestring, the real issue in upgrading sirocco is resources, specify
>a hard drive. I am waiting for a 36 - 50 gig scsi hard drive to become
>available.

OK.  Upgrading the LDM won't consume significantly more disk, but I know
what you mean.

>As it is, Sirocco's disk resources are running low and I am using this upgrade
>to justify a new hard drive. I regret causing you and the others wait for
>this. This should resolve soon.

OK.  Do you have any idea of a timeframe?

>Do you have an extra very large scsi drive laying around? :)

Unfortunately, no.  All of ours are being used.

>I'll let Unidata know when I make the change.

Thanks!  There are some tunings that can/should be done for LDM-6,
so we will want to touch base on the contents of your ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf
file when you get 6.0.10 installed.  Also, there will need to be a line
for running the real time statistics reporting utility, rtstats,
in that same file:

exec    "rtstats -h rtstats.unidata.ucar.edu"

rtstats can also be told which feeds to report stats on, so any feed
types that are only used internally to LSU should be excluded from the
reporting.  For instance, if you were using the EXP feed type to move
data internally, your ldmd.conf line for rtstats would look like:

exec    "rtstats -f ANY-EXP -h rtstats.unidata.ucar.edu"

etc.

Tom