20030418: Ohio State's LDM machine's clock is off

>From: Unidata User Support <address@hidden>

Hi Chris,

In looking through the real time LDM-6 statistics that you are now
reporting, we noticed that your clock is off.  It is important that
systems functioning in the Unidata IDD have synchronized clocks so that
calculation of product latencies is accurate.

If you are not currently running xntpd or ntpdate on your system, we
would like you to encourage you to do so as soon as possible.  Of the
two, we find ntpdate to be much easier to use, and it is not the
security risk that xntpd is.

Here is an example of how to run ntpdate out of root's cron:

0 * * * * /usr/sbin/ntpdate timeserver > /dev/null

You would replace 'timeserver' with the fully qualified hostname for
the time server you would access to set your clock.  Lists of Stratum
1 and 2 time servers can be found, respectively in:

Stratum 1::

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/clock1a.html

Stratum 2::

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/clock2a.html

I have been advising folks to look through these web pages and identify
a public Stratum 2 server that is "close" to you.  Using the time
service from these folks typically requires that you send them an
email that you are doing so.

Thanks in advance for setting your clock.

Tom Yoksas

>From address@hidden Sat Apr 19 16:23:19 2003

Hi,

I've made the necessary changes and twister should have the right time
now.

Chris

Christopher C. Hennon, Ph.D.
Atmospheric Sciences Program