20030408: LDM 6.0.10 Compile Errors: /usr/ucb/cc

Patrick,

> To: Unidata Support <address@hidden>
> From: "Patrick O'Reilly" <address@hidden>
> Subject: LDM 6.0.10 Compile Errors

> I'm trying to install from source the 6.0.10 LDM, I have the 5.2 binary
> running fine now.  When I run ./configure:
>
> [ldm@blizzard]#./configure
> checking for c89... no
> checking for cc... cc
> checking C compiler... configure: error: cc failed to compile test program
>
> and in my config.log:
>
> [ldm@blizzard]#more config.log
> This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
> running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.
>
> configure:627: checking for c89
> configure:627: checking for cc
> configure:676: checking C compiler
> configure:685: cc -c   conftest.c 1>&5
> /usr/ucb/cc:  language optional software package not installed
> configure: failed program was:
> #line 678 "configure"
> #include "confdefs.h"
>
> int main() {
>
> ; return 0; }
>
> I am running Solaris 8 on a Sun Sparc system.  I don't have the
> /opt/SUNWspro package, so it's not finding c89, but do have the /usr/ucb/cc
> compiler installed, as well as /bin/gcc.  Does anything above tell you what
> specifically I need to do?  Not sure what "language optional software
> package not installed" meant exactly.

I'm not sure what that means, either.  You should definitely NOT use the
/usr/ucb/cc compiler, however, because that compiler doesn't conform to
the C standard (as the code expects).

I suggest using the GNU C compiler by doing the following:

    1.  Execute the command "make distclean".

    2.  Set the environment variable CC to the pathname of the GNU C
        compiler, e.g.,

            export CC=/bin/gcc

        or

            setenv CC /bin/gcc

        depending on your user-shell.

    3.  Follow the rest of the installation instructions regarding the
        excution of the configure script.

Let me know if this helps or if you have any problems.

> Thanks.
>
> Patrick
> Patrick O'Reilly
> Meteorological Decision Support Scientist
> The STORM Project - University of Northern Iowa
> address@hidden  ~  ph: 319-273-3789
> http://www.uni.edu/storm
>
> "No trees were killed in the making of this e-mail...however,
> a large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced."

Regards,
Steve Emmerson