20030327: rtstats issues

>From: Carl Sinclair <address@hidden>

>When I first started using rtstats, the files created were based on the
>host (originating) ldm machine.  I see since then (including ldm6) that
>there is a '_v_xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" being added to the end of the filename.
>Why is this done? Is there a way to turn that off?  This is a potential
>serious problem within my database and software that I've already
>written.  Please tell me I can turn off the extra stuff!
>
>Carl
>
>--
>_______________________
>Carl Sinclair
>OU/CAPS Research Associate
>(405)325-5938

Carl,

The origin_v_upstream was added tp the LDM in 5.2 as part of the product
structure (eg _v_upstream is appended to the origin hostname). It is not
being added by rtstats. Each LDM will replace the _v_upstream string with the
hostname of the machine that the product was received from.

Prior to LDM5.2, the only way to determine topology was for sites running
mailpqstats from their cron to examine their ldmd.log file for "topo" entries.
Unfortunately, the "topo" line in ldmd.log is only emitted upon the
initial connection, making the topology information very static.
The addition of the upstream information allows the statistics to determine
what the topology is at any moment, including if there are multiple
paths to a site. Eventuellay, we would like to improve IDD routing
using this information.

Steve Chiswell