freebsd Softupdates and the ldm queue

Jim,
I recall your saying you were running your Unidata software on freebsd.
We just acquired a freebsd box too for our Unidata software using
freebsd 4.7 release. Tom recommended I check in with you to see if you
had any advice on Softupdates.

Our box has 3 scsi drives and I've made 2 slices on the second, a 3 GB
for the ldm queues, the rest for the Unidata software home(s), and on
the 3rd drive I've got a slice for swap, the rest for ldm's /data.

My question is: is it advantageous or no for the queue partition on the
second drive to have Softupdates turned off, while all other partitions
(except /) have Softupdates implemented? My limited understanding of
Softupdates is that it improves I/O rates by 'cache'ing file metadata
updates to disk, so that the ondisk metadata changes are allowed to 'get
behind' corresponding data writes at times until I/O activity will allow
them to catch up. Does this argue for or against Softupdates on the
queue file system?

--
Neil R. Smith, Comp. Sys. Mngr.         address@hidden
Dept. Atmospheric Sci., Texas A&M Univ. 979/845-6272 FAX:979/862-4466