20030317: LDM-6 setup on FreeBSD 4.7 at TAMU

>From: "Neil R. Smith" <address@hidden>

Hi Neil,

>I've got my ldm.pq on a separate 3GB partition on a different disk from
>my /data partition .. thinking that would make things a little faster.
>I'm using Softupdates on my filesystems, but thinking about this queue
>partition, do you think I should not enable Softupdates for it?

If the only thing you have in the file system is your LDM queue, I
would not have Softupdates turned on for it.

>What config/partitioning have you found optimal on freebsd? (I'm using
>freebsd 4.7 release).

Since we are not (yet) doing anything but moving data with our FreeBSD
box (we are using it in LDM stress testing and it is sailing along
happily), it is hard to say if the queue would be better in its own
partition.  It is not on a separate partition on our system.   For
reference, we are using 10K rpm IBM SCSI disks in our FreeBSD box.  It
is also a dual 1 Ghz processor system with 4 GB of RAM.  We run our LDM
with a 2 GB queue, but that is mainly since we are using it in testing
movement of all IDD data to multiple (7) downstream machines.  FYI, it
is moving an average of 31 Mbps of data to downstream machines, and has
been doing so for just over 6 days now.  After we stop our stress
testing series, we will be converting this FreeBSD box into our data
ingest/decode machine for GEMPAK, McIDAS, and the netCDF decoders and
as an ADDE server for THREDDS testing.

Sorry I couldn't provide more insight into disk tuning.   We may have
more to say after the machines takes up decoding and data serving
duties.  You might want to touch base with Jim Koermer of Plymouth
State <address@hidden> to see what he did before he put a
RAID on one of his FreeBSD systems.

Tom