20030315: observation on wxbox LDM operation

>From: Unidata User Support <address@hidden>

Hi Tony,

Too bad you had to leave in a hurry yesterday.

I just wanted to let you know that the LDM-6 appears to be performing
well on wxbox.  There is, however, an issue with the system's clock.
If you take a look at real time statistics for any of the feeds received
by wxbox:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/chiz/rtstats

Click on 'Statistics by Host' then on 'wxbox.mscd.edu' and then on
any of the links for feed latency, you will see that the latencies
only go down to around 100 seconds.  The flatness of the latency
plots tells us that your clock must be off by that amount.

The fix for the clock problem is to run ntpdate from 'root's cron.
This will look something like:

#
# Set the system clock
#
0 * * * * /usr/sbin/ntpdate zero.unidata.ucar.edu > /dev/null

You will need to find out where ntpdate is located on your machine
and adjust its location in your entry.

Before actually adding this to 'root's crontab file, you should
run it by hand as 'root':

/usr/sbin/ntpdate zero.unidata.ucar.edu

Again, the location of ntpdate might be different for you.

Tom

>From address@hidden Sun Mar 16 07:18:14 2003

Tom,

I apologize for having to rush off.  I had to pick up my daughter at school in
Denver and I knew she'd be wondering where I was.  But thanks so much for
doing the wxbox upgrades.  I'll take a look at the clock situation on Monday.

Thanks again,

Tony

 Anthony A. Rockwood
 Metropolitan State College of Denver