20030227: LDM-6 installation and tuning on aeolus

>From: Larry Riddle <address@hidden>

Hi Larry,

Previously, I asked you if it was OK to load LDM-6 on your DEC Alpha:

>Sure.  I've already given Steve permission to do this.  Anne and Jeff have
>all of the passwords that you'll need.

I loaded LDM-6.0 on aeolus within the last hour.  The build and install
went smoothly.

As part of the upgrade, I did the following:

1) built LDM-6 from source

2) install LDM-6 (user 'ldm' and 'root' steps)

3) made a backup copy of your ldmd.conf file:

   cd ~ldm/etc
   cp ldmd.conf ldmd.conf.514

4) modified your ldmd.conf file to:

   - add the running of 'rtstats', this reports real time statistics back
     to us

exec    "rtstats -h rtstats.unidata.ucar.edu"

   - reorganized your feed requests to thelma:

was:

request       UNIDATA|FSL2    ".*"    thelma.ucar.edu
request       NNEXRAD ".*"    192.52.106.21
request       FNEXRAD ".*"    192.52.106.21
request       DIFAX   ".*"    thelma.ucar.edu

now is:

request UNIWISC ".*"    thelma.ucar.edu
request HDS     ".*"    thelma.ucar.edu
request DDPLUS|IDS      ".*"    thelma.ucar.edu
request NNEXRAD ".*"    thelma.ucar.edu
request FNEXRAD|DIFAX|FSL2      ".*"    thelma.ucar.edu

      LDM-6 does not aggregate individual request lines to the same
      upstream host like LDM-5 did.  This makes it easier to split
      feed requests.

LDM-6 is now up and running and reporting realtime statistics back to
us:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/chiz/rtstats

Click on 'Statistics by Host' and then 'aeolus.ucsd.edu'.  From the page
that gets loaded you can monitor things for individual feed types:

- latency (both in linear and log graphs)
- volume of data
- number of products
- topology (how the products got to you)

Our observations of LDM-6 performance include:

- it is slightly more efficient sending data to LDM-5 clients than
  LDM-5 was (LDM-6 uses LDM-5 protocols when talking to LDM-5 servers
  and clients)

- it is much more efficient in sending/receiving data to/from LDM-6
  clients/servers

- it builds and installs on more platforms than LDM-5

- it has better statistics reporting

Note:

Since LDM-6 no longer aggregates individual ldmd.conf requests to
common hosts, it is the user's responsibility to combine feeds in
single request lines when desired.  The reason for doing this is to
keep the number of rpc.ldmd processes down on both your own machine and
on upstream feeders.  Given this, I may end up tweaking your ldmd.conf
entries some to consolidate feed requests _if_ aeolus demonstrates that
its connections to upstream feed sites can handle the consolidation.  I
will be using the information in the real time statistics plots to make
this determination.

Please let us know if you see anything amiss, OR if you get the feeling
that LDM-6 is performing better on your system (good news is always
welcome :-).

>From address@hidden Thu Feb 27 16:08:26 2003
>Subject: Re: 20030227: LDM-6 installation and tuning on aeolus

>Please let us know if you see anything amiss, OR if you get the feeling
>that LDM-6 is performing better on your system (good news is always
>welcome :-).

So far, it looks great.  I've seen no signs of indigestion or anything else
adverse.  I'll continue to monitor.  Thanks.

Larry