20030120: ldm-6.0.0.8 loaded on thelma; CONDUIT thrashing

Guys,

I built and installed ldm-6.0.0.8 on thelma last night.  Chiz and I
switched the CONDUIT feed to point at motherlode and added the fence
settings for IDS|DDPLUS and NNEXRAD.  The result of all of this is that
CONDUIT delivery is even worse than it was before the change.  I logged
onto motherlode to snoop around and saw that the load average was over
17. Given this, I logged onto zero and shut down its ingest of numerous
feeds from motherlode (CONDUIT, and more) and jackie/desi.

It appears to me that feeding CONDUIT to more than two sites
(motherlode was feeding zero and atm when thelma was added into the
mix) sent motherlode into a bad state.  Hopefully, dropping back its
feeds to just two will allow it to calm down.

It seems to me that we are not making any progress.  For instance,
Harry's feed of CONDUIT has gotten significantly worse (higher latencies)
now that thelma and marzipan are running LDM 6.

Comments?

* Unidata WWW Service                            http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/ *