Re: 20030111: LDM-6.0.0.0 build/run comments

Tom,

>Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 17:21:27 -0700
>From: Tom Yoksas <address@hidden>
>To: address@hidden
>Subject: 20030111: LDM-6.0.0.0 build/run comments

> 2) define LDMHOME as $HOME in the .cshrc file on each machine (emo was
>    already done).  If I didn't do this on jackie, ldmhome would get
>    defined as garbage in the top and _some_ sub level Makefiles.
>    The garbage value would cause make to fail with an error message
>    that indicated a problem in the Makefile at a line that was well
>    away from the declaration of ldmhome.  This looks like there
>    needs to be a better check of LDMHOME in the configure step?

There are a couple of things the configure script could do if LDMHOME
isn't set:

    1.  Error-exit with a message; or

    2.  Set LDMHOME to the value of "prefix", which is where the "bin",
        "lib", "include", etc. installation directories will reside.

#2 is incompatible with our design for multiple-version support but is
good for single-shot installations.

I prefer #1 and will instantiate that -- if there are no objections.

> 4) explictly specify the use of /usr/ccs/bin/make on jackie.  Otherwise,
>    /opt/bin/make would be used.  I don't know if this is a problem;
>    it is just different from what is being done on shemp (another
>    Solaris x86 machine).

Unfortunately, we have no control over what "make" utility the user
uses.  I have noted in the installation document, however, that the user
must use "make -B" on FreeBSD systems.

An alternative would be to modify all the LDM's makefiles so that they
don't use the archive-member syntax and rules.

> I tried building ldm-6.0.0.0 on atm.geo.nsf.gov, but configure barfed
> trying to use c89:
>
> /usr/local/ldm/ldm-6.0.0.0/src% ./configure
> creating cache ./config.cache
> checking for c89... c89
> checking C compiler... configure: error: c89 failed to compile test program
>
> This looks to be the result of a hang trying to get the license info
> for the Sun compilers.

You should be able to use "cc" by setting the environment variable CC to
that value prior to executing the "configure" script.

Regards,