20030111: LDM-6.0.0.0 build/run comments

>From:  Tom Yoksas <address@hidden>

Steves and Mike,

In an attempt to extend the testing of LDM6, I built and installed
ldm-6.0.0.0 on shemp, emo, jackie, and motherlode.  In order to do the
builds, I did the following:

1) scp /home/steve/ldm/src/protocol/ldm4.h to ldm-6.0.0.0/src/protocol.
   -- ldm-6.0.0.0.tar.Z is missing ldm4.h in the src/protocol directory.

2) define LDMHOME as $HOME in the .cshrc file on each machine (emo was
   already done).  If I didn't do this on jackie, ldmhome would get
   defined as garbage in the top and _some_ sub level Makefiles.
   The garbage value would cause make to fail with an error message
   that indicated a problem in the Makefile at a line that was well
   away from the declaration of ldmhome.  This looks like there
   needs to be a better check of LDMHOME in the configure step?

3) define CFLAGS to be -O.  It seems to me that we want the LDM to
   run as efficiently as possible on all of these machines.

4) explictly specify the use of /usr/ccs/bin/make on jackie.  Otherwise,
   /opt/bin/make would be used.  I don't know if this is a problem;
   it is just different from what is being done on shemp (another
   Solaris x86 machine).

I tried building ldm-6.0.0.0 on atm.geo.nsf.gov, but configure barfed
trying to use c89:

/usr/local/ldm/ldm-6.0.0.0/src% ./configure
creating cache ./config.cache
checking for c89... c89
checking C compiler... configure: error: c89 failed to compile test program

This looks to be the result of a hang trying to get the license info
for the Sun compilers.

One note, we got an email about an ldmping success to motherlode, so
the support of ldmping in ldm-6.0.0.0 is working.