Re: (Fwd) Re: motherlode reboot issue

Hi again,

I now see that there are a couple of issues regarding motherlode.  I had not
realized that the ldm on motherlode was down for seven hours yesterday after the
reboot.  Nobody got notice because motherlode is running LDM V6, which is
incompatible with the ldmping V5 performed on laraine.  Here's what needs to
happen as I see it:

- motherlode needs a K..ldmd script on motherlode for the ldm to get shut down
cleanly.  Mike said he would do this.

- the boot script needs to be updated. I will do this by replacing the current
script with the boot script from thelma.

- we need a something to let us know when the ldm is down. ldmping V6?  Steve?

Hopefully the queue won't need to be rebuilt on a restart, but in case it does
the script will *not* use the -f option because we're also decoding and logging
there, plus other groups use that partition as well.   We can't guaruntee that
the space will be there as the queue is filled.

Independent of motherlode, the issue was raised as to whether upon queue
creation simply writing the last byte of the queue would be sufficient to
acquire all the space.  Does seeking to the last byte also zero out everything
before it?  I'll leave this issue to Steve.

Anne