20030102: FreeBSD mods made by Plymouth on LDM

Steve,

I know you already got Ted Wisniewski's email, but I wanted to add
a couple of bits.

As you have seen, Ted is also using gmake to build his 5.2- versions of
the LDM, not make.  He is also making a change to configure that I did
not know about.  Since I was able to help Purdue get LDM 5.2.2 working
on their FreeBSD 4.5 system, I don't think that the configure mod is
really necessary.

Also, I remember that LDM logging through syslog has not been working
properly for Jim.  He ended up specifying a log file on each LDM
process that logs through the -l flag.  I found a mod to ulog.c in
our tracking system that I passed along to Purdue, but I don't know
if this actually fixed the syslog logging:

src/ulog/ulog.c

change:

#ifdef _DEV_CONSLOG
#define ULOGNAME    "/dev/conslog"
#else
#define ULOGNAME    "/dev/log"
#endif /* !_DEV_CONSLOG */
#endif

to:

#ifdef _DEV_CONSLOG
#define ULOGNAME        "/dev/conslog"
#else
# if defined(__FreeBSD__)
#   define      ULOGNAME        "/var/run/log"
# else
#   define      ULOGNAME        "/dev/log"
# endif
#endif /* !_DEV_CONSLOG */
#endif

I would be very interested in building 5.3.0.x on our FreeBSD machine
and running an LDM there just to see what else doesn't work as we would
like.

Tom