20021219: system CPU/RAM use on weather.admin.niu.edu (cont.)

>From: Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden>

Gilbert,

re: high load average

>Unfortunately, we're right back to square one this morning. Same high
>load.

Another thing we have noticed on our RedHat Linux machines is that at
least one screen saver has a big problem.  We have seen the load
average ramp up on our RH 7.1 and 7.3 machines when this saver runs,
and sometimes it will core dump.  Our solution was to pick one screen
saver to use (instead of the system cycling through all of them) and
stick with it (making sure that the one we chose uses low amounts of
system resources).

re: nautilus

>Done. Turned off. And, I added the appropriate entries in /etc/services
>on weather2 and weather3.

Good.  Did you send a HUP signal to xinetd after making the mods to
/etc/services?  You need to do this so that it will reread its configuration
files.

re: make the GIF (tm) files in memory instead of using X

>Hmmm. OK. Might try that instead.

Can't hurt :-)

>Thanks for the help, as always. Still
>baffled why this is doing this on weather and not weather2.

Me too.  From what you had said when I was working on XCD code on weather2,
this machine was not having problems.  If this is true, something has
changed since then.

>Weather3 is
>dying, so that can't be used as a backup anymore. I'm trying to find a
>replacement.

OK.

Tom

>From address@hidden Thu Dec 19 14:38:21 2002
>Subject: Re: 20021219: system CPU/RAM use on weather.admin.niu.edu (cont.)

re: use only a single screen saver
>You bet, so have I. I do the exact same thing (in fact, on weather, I shut
>the screensaver off and only turn on the monitor when I'm using it).

re: send HUP to xinetd after /etc/services mods
>Yes.

re: make the GIF (tm) files in memory instead of using X Can't hurt :-)

>True!

re: if problem just started, something new has happened
>Well, it's been swamped like this for quite a while, which is why I first
>suspected McIDAS, since I knew it had memory leaks that you had fixed..

re: Weather3 replacement

Internet: address@hidden    (My opinions only!)                     ******
E-mail: address@hidden                                 ***