20021218: system CPU/RAM use on weather.admin.niu.edu (cont.)

>From: Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden>

Gilbert,

re: cpu load on weather

>Well, I did see it go up to 7 for awhile after you started. It wasn't for
>very long, but it was there.

OK.  Like I said, while I was watching the high water mark was 3.59
and that went away after rad/X calmed down.

re: we don't run nautilus

>What does Nautilus do, and how do I turn it off?

It is a GUI interface for looking at the file system.  This is started
automatically for all users unless they exit it and save their session.
The next time that the session is started, nautilus should not be started.

re: XCD routines are not using much of anything
>OK. Sounds like there's no problem there.

re: use of X

>I am making GIFS, which makes them pop up to the screen in an iconified
>form.

OK, this accounts for the system use by X when rad is running.

>If I just did it in memory, I figured that would be worse.

I don't think so.

re: ldm connects/disconnects from weather.cod.edu

>OK. I'll tell him to back off. But I think he laos told me some time ago
>it shouldn't be doing this. Any ideas?

I have no idea how he is doing the connect/disconnect, but I suspect
that ldmpings are being fired off from a cron entry.  If this is true,
changing the crontab entry execution interval should work.

>Let me check on this.

OK.

Tom