20021203: Problem with ldm starting (Redhat 8.0)

>From: James Murakami <address@hidden>

James,

>I downloaded the latest binary version (5.1.2) of ldm for a linux system
>(using Redhat 8.0). After doing all the things on the check list (found on
>unidata website), I typed "ldmadmin start". I got the following error
>message--
>
>Split loop at /home/ldm/bin/ldmadmin line 621.
>
>That line appears as follows--
>
>    ( @QUEUES ) = split( "[ \t\n]+", `ls $pq_path` );
>
>When I checked the ldm-users e-mail archive, there was no recommendation other
>than asking about the ldm configuration,

We have at least one site running the LDM 5.1.x under RH 8 (NIU), and
they are not having problems with ldmadmin.

>which follows (a ldm.pq was successfully created by the way)--

> =
>[ldm@sundog ~]# ldmadmin config
>
>hostname:      sundog.atmos.ucla.edu
>ldmhome:       /home/ldm
>bin path:      /home/ldm/bin
>conf file:     /home/ldm/etc/ldmd.conf
>log file:      /home/ldm/logs/ldmd.log
>data path:     /data/ldm
>product queue: /data/ldm/ldm.pq
>queue size:    400000000 bytes
>PID file:      /home/ldm/ldmd.pid
>LDMHOSTNAME:   sundog.atmos.ucla.edu
>PATH:
>/home/ldm/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/ucb:/usr/usb:/usr/etc:/etc:/u
> sr
>/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/home/
> ld
>m/bin:/home/ldm/5.6h/bin/linux:/home/ldm/5.6h/bin/scripts

> ==

To get this listing, you would have had to edit ~ldm/bin/ldmadmin to set
$data_path.  The default for this is:

$data_path = "$ldmhome/data";

Give this, I am curious to know what would happen if you:

o created a link from ~ldm/data to /data/ldm:

  <login as 'ldm'>
  cd ~ldm
  ln -s /data/ldm data

o edited ~ldm/bin/ldmadmin and return $data_path to its original setting
  (show above)

I don't think that this should fix anything, but I am curious to see if
it does.

The error you included above is from Perl, so we have to suspect your
Perl version.  What does the following give:

% perl -version

>I never ran into this problem when upgrading on Sun workstations (solaris).
>Any advice on a fix is appreciated.

It is like you have a Perl problem of some sort, but the question is what?

>Thank you in advance.

Tom Yoksas