20021114: building LDM 5.2.2 at NIU (cont.)

>From: Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden>

Gilbert,

>BTW, for ldm 5.2.2., I had to take out the "c89" references in the
>source directory "configure" file to get it to compile.

The easiest way to do this is to define environment variables before
running configure.  The set of environment variables I use on Linux
systems for both LDM and McIDAS builds is:

CC=/usr/bin/gcc
CPPFLAGS=-DNDEBUG -Df2cFortran
CFLAGS=-O
FC=/usr/bin/g77
FFLAGS=-O -Wuninitialized -fno-automatic
CXX=

Since these settings will be used each time you build, it is easiest
to put their definitions in your shell-specific definition file.  Since
you are using the C shell for 'ldm' (as recommended), the entries would
be:

setenv CC /usr/bin/gcc
setenv CPPFLAG "-DNDEBUG -Df2cFortran"
setenv CFLAGS -O
setenv FC /usr/bin/g77
setenv FFLAGS "-O -Wuninitialized -fno-automati"
setenv CXX

Remember, after changing environment variables, you need to do a
'make distclean' (if the previous configure step had gotten to the point
of creating Makefiles) and then rerun configure.

Tom