Re: 20020805: RPC Timed out error ldmping ldm problem

Mike Leuthold wrote:

> Anne, Mike,
>         The problem has been found.  As I suspected, our telecom people
> were to blame.  They had installed some sort of software to attempt to
> reduce the load from file swapping services and the software decided that
> the ldm at port 388 was one of these services (which it is kinda!).  They
> turned it off, and ldmpings started working again.  So thanks for your
> work and sorry to have dragged you into this.  This may be a future
> problem for all LDM users as universities attempt to control file
> swapping.
>
> Mike
>
> --
> Mike Leuthold
> Atmospheric Sciences/Institute of Atmospheric Physics
> University of Arizona
> address@hidden
> 520-621-2863

Sigh....

Yes, I see things are working, that's good.

I fixed a few things I found on your machine.  In particular, hupsyslog
and rpc.ldmd were not owned by root so I changed that.  After that data
seemed to be flowing but logging wasn't working because syslogd had, for
some reason, not created /var/run/syslog.pid, so I restarted it, the pid
file exists, and logging seems fine.

Mike and I had tried a few things as root.  Specifically, we added
nimbus to /etc/hosts, and we modified the hosts line in
/etc/nsswitch.conf so that it didn't use nisplus (the original line is
still there commented out).  You may want to set that back...

Also, some of your stats files are owned by root.  They should be owned
by ldm.  I'll let you fix that.

That was so wierd!!  The results were so inconsistent.  Anyway, I'm glad
it's been solved.  So, it was *not* a firewall issue, but a utility to
reduce swapping????

Anne
                                  Boulder, CO  80307