Re: Weather(2).admin.niu.edu back up

On Sat, 3 Aug 2002, Gilbert Sebenste wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I apologize for the multiple data outages last night. My LDM 5.2 just
> wouldn't stay up, no matter what machine or what version I was feeding off
> of. It kept dying with "signal 11" on pqsurf. I don't have time for this,
> and I'm probably ticking off my downstream sites royally, so I apologize
> for the data loss. I am now back to stable 5.1.4 on my machines.

Gilbert,

We are still working on your problem, we have a couple of ideas. First, I
ran LDM-5.2 for 4 days on a 7.3 system without a crash.  Doesn't mean that
there's no bug in 5.2, it just appears more on RedHat 7.3.  We are
wondering if there's a problem with pqsurf. pqsurf code is really ridget
because it decodes the product headers. So as new product enter the stream
and as headers change, it could be a problem.  We were wondering if you
could turn off pqsurf on your main feeder machine?  Also, if there are no
problems then maybe you could use the pqsurf from the 5.1.4 distribution
with the 5.2 distribution. We are planning on doing some pqsurf testing
here also.  Let us know what you find out.

Robb...