20020719: Not getting Data [urgent] (cont.)

>From: William C Klein <address@hidden>

Bill,

>aeolus is the machine that the data should be going to.  weather.valpo.edu
>is NOT the current server.  i'm not quite sure what it's capacity is now.

OK, I thought I remembered that LDM ingest and XCD decoding had been
setup on aeolus at one time.

Someone _is_ running the LDM on weather.valpo.edu, however. It might
be interesting to see if the LDM setup on weather coincides with the
your missing data.  As I write this note, I see that the LDM is also
running on aeolus.  If both of these machines are trying to write
decoded data to the same filesystem/directory/files, you will have
significant problems.  Also, by running two LDMs, you are most likely
using twice the network bandwidth that you need.

If I were you, I would review the setup on weather and merge the
request and allow lines from its ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf file into that on
aeolus.  In particular, I would pay attention to the upstream feed
sites that are feeding weather.  Are they the same on weather as on
aeolus?  What machines a site will allow to request a feed from is
controlled by the feed site, and they typically will allow only one
machine per site.

After making the merge, you should stop the LDM on weather.  While
looking through the LDM setup on weather, make sure to check to see if
it had been setup to start the LDM automatically on reboot; if it has
you need to remove that capability.

Once the LDM is stopped on weather (and will not restart), you should
be able to safely start the LDM on aeolus and get everything working
there again.

Tom