20020719: Not getting Data [urgent]

>From: William C Klein <address@hidden>

Bill,

>Looks like we haven't been getting data since June 20.  I haven't been
>using McIDAS so this problem was just made known to us.

Hmm...

>What steps do I need to take to restore datafeeds?  I don't believe that
>we have changed anything on our side.

Since you didn't mention which data feed(s) you are not getting, I
will work off of the assumption that the problem is on the LDM side.
Here is the sequence of things I would do to troubleshoot the problem:

1) Is the LDM running?  login as 'ldm' and do a 'ps -u ldm'.  Are
   there rpc.ldmd processes in this listing?  If not, the LDM is not
   running, and I would restart it:

   ldmadmin stop                   <- just to make sure
   <wait until all LDM processes have terminated verify this by
    running successive 'ps -u ldm' invocations until all LDM processes
    are gone>
   ldmadmin start

2) if the LDM was running, was the McIDAS-XCD supervisor process xcdstart.k
   running?  You find this from the 'ps -u ldm' listing as the user 'ldm'
   exactly as in step 1).  If this process is not running, then I would
   stop and restart the LDM as in 1)

3) if both the LDM and the XCD supervisory routine startxcd.k are running,
   then you are either not receiving data from your upstream feed site(s)
   or there is a problem with your XCD decoding.

   To check the receipt of data by the LDM, use the notifyme command
   from a login as 'ldm':

   notifyme -vxl- -o 3600

   If you get nothing from this invocation, then check to see what the
   LDM log messages are telling you:

   <as 'ldm'>
   cd ~/logs
   more ldmd.log

Let's see where things stand after you check the above out.  If you still
have problems, we can determine new actions based on the results of the
tests above.

Tom