20020626: LDM setup at Howard (cont.)

>From: Pavel Byles-Howard University Engineering <address@hidden>

Pavel,

>Howard is running on more than a T1. As far as I know it's on a T1 and a
>T3 and we're routed through the T3.

OK, if Howard has a T3 connection, and your department is connected through
a T1, you would still run into problems trying to ingest all of the
NNEXRAD data.

>But I would only like to recieve just
>1 of the NNEXRAD products. I doubt that it would clog of the network.

That would certainly not clog your network.  For this test, try altering
your ldmd.conf request entry to:

request NNEXRAD "/p...(LWX|DOX|AKQ)" snow.nrcc.cornell.edu

This will request all products from three NEXRADs:

ID     Station Name         Data Types      ST CO  LAT        LON        ELE
DOX    Dover Air Force Base          N      DE US   38:49:32   75:26:23    19
LWX    BALTIMORE                     N      MD US   38:58:31   77:28:40   104
AKQ    WAKEFIELD                     N      VA US   36:59:02   77:00:26    43

>My
>download speeds range from 600 kilobytes per sec at the mos to a minimum
>of 200 kilobytes/sec I think it should be able to handle it.

Yes, this is plenty.

>I only want
>to test and display some data for now using garp.

OK.

>When I run the notifyme it times out. and there is still no data being
>recieved.

Which notifyme times out, the one to snow.nrcc.cornell.edu or the one
to your own local host?

What I have in mind is feeding you NNEXRAD products from a machine
we operate at the National Science Foundation.  Since I have access
to that machine, I can login and see if there are errors when your
machine attempts to connect to it.  So, if you give me the full
name of your machine, I will allow it to request a feed from the
NSF machine, atm.geo.nsf.gov.  You would then need to change your
ldmd.conf file to request the data from this machine:

request NNEXRAD "/p...(LWX|DOX|AKQ)" atm.geo.nsf.gov

After making changes in ldmd.conf, you need to stop and restart your
LDM:

ldmadmin stop
<wait for all LDM processes to exit>
ldmadmin start

To speed up this process, would you be willing to give me a logon to
your machine as 'ldm'?  If not, what is the full name and IP address of
the machine you are setting the LDM up on?

Tom