20020624: NEXRAD Level III data in WSI format (cont.)

>From: Louis Nguyen <address@hidden>

Louis,

>I appreciate your offer.  We're interested in:

>   bref1-4(124nm), cref, bvel1-2, & precip1

>about every 15mins from now to the end of July.  We're after the 4
>South Florida stations (BYX,AMX,TBW, & MLB). Let me know if you can
>supply us with this amount of data.

The easiest way for us to get you the data is to feed an LDM at your site.
This would mean that someone there would need to:

1) create an account named 'ldm'.  Make sure that this account has
   access to enough disk space to support the data ingest you are
   looking for (this would be on the order of 500 MB)
2) download the LDM binary for the OS on the machine you want to run
   the ingest on (one can do a source build -- it is not hard --, but
   a binary installation is a snap)
3) have 'root' complete the configuration of the LDM at your site.  This
   is nothing more that giving SETUID privilege to two LDM routines
4) make sure that port 388 is accessible through your firewall
   (assuming you have a firewall (good assumption))
5) make sure that the machine you are going to run the LDM on has
   both forward and reverse name lookup (required by LDMs)
6) provide us with the name of your machine
7) setup an ldmd.conf file that does a request for the data -- this
   file would be ultra simple for your case --
8) setup a pqact.conf file that tells the LDM what to do when the
   data is received (e.g., FILE the products; PIPE the products to
   a decoder or an ingest process for your data assimilation setup;
   etc.) -- this file would be ultra simple for your case --

We would allow a machine to feed you (this would be the machine at NSF
in DC).  After we did the allow, and you started your LDM, data would
start flowing as soon as it is available.

Some references:

Unidata HomePage:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu

 ==> Software