Re: who's "Mr/s LDM" these days over there?

Jeff Weber wrote:

> Hi Karl,
>
> Anne is actually the "lead" on this project, but seeing no response i will
> chime in..
>
> I have found my PC Solaris-x86 to be stable, we have heard about negative
> issues with RH 7.2, and GEMPAK incompatibilities with RH 7.3.
>
> [downside]
> Support on the Intel processors may be going away on Solaris...
>
> We also recommend enough RAM to store your queue, we have had success
> with a 7GB queue w/8GB of RAM. Hard drive, obviously is all up to you.
> This, is of course suggested, swap still works just fine, but we find on
> heavily loaded machines it is nice if the queue fits in RAM space.
>
> The more and faster the processors the better, we suggest at least dual
> 450's, but with the prices they are, maybe dual 1 GB processors would be
> nice :)
>
> This is my opinion, others may vary...
>
> -Jeff
> ____________________________                  _____________________

Hi Karl,

Here's my $.02.

In general, we have done very well running the LDM on Solaris x86.  We
have several in house that have been working very well for a long time.
But, our very last experience was not good.  We ordered one that was
very high end to be our main server - fast motherboard, fast network
interfaces, and a fast SCSI drive.  All was fine until we loaded it up
to feed many sites.  Then we started getting sporadic bus errors.  In
the end we turned it off.  Mike feels that we just pushed the PC limits
too far, asking it for the performance of a good server, which it could
not provide.

It depends a lot on what and how much you want this machine to do.  Will
it be decoding or doing other things or just relaying?  If relaying, to
how many?  How much data do you want to store in your queue?

Also, the latest I heard was that Solaris was backing off their
announcement not to support Intel processors.  This should be
confirmed...

Anne
                                  Boulder, CO  80307