Re: 20020608: Building LDM 5.1.4 RedHat 7.2

address@hidden wrote:

> Anne:
>
> I was wrong in my original e-mail. I don't know why I thought the yacc
> was a link on my older system. It is an executable, /usr/bin/yacc. I did
> build from source on that system.
>
> On the newer RedHat 7.2 system in question, here's what I get:
>
> [ldm@node001 ldm]$ locate yacc
> /usr/share/doc/gawk-3.0.6/README_d/README.yacc
> /usr/share/doc/vim-common-6.0/syntax/ayacc.vim
> /usr/share/doc/vim-common-6.0/syntax/yacc.vim
> /usr/share/vim/vim60z/syntax/ayacc.vim
> /usr/share/vim/vim60z/syntax/yacc.vim
> /usr/share/a2ps/sheets/yacc.ssh
> [ldm@node001 ldm]$
>
> No yacc apparently. Is "yacc" something I can get as an rpm and install.
> I didn't put RedHat on this system, and I don't really know what yacc
> is. (I'm not administering this system, just running the ldm.)

Hi Tom,

Sure likes like you don't have yacc.  FYI, yacc is a parser generator.
In the ldm it's used to parse entries in the configuration files.
Here's what's on my machine:

[anne@localhost anne]$ locate yacc
/usr/bin/byacc
/usr/bin/yacc
/usr/share/doc/vim-common-6.0/syntax/ayacc.vim
/usr/share/doc/vim-common-6.0/syntax/yacc.vim
/usr/share/doc/ruby-docs-1.6.4/doc-en/yacc.html
/usr/share/doc/ruby-docs-1.6.4/doc-ja/yacc.html
/usr/share/doc/ruby-1.6.4/sample/exyacc.rb
/usr/share/doc/kdelibs-devel-2.2.2/kio/yacc_h.html
/usr/share/man/man1/byacc.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/yacc.1.gz
/usr/share/vim/vim60/indent/yacc.vim
/usr/share/vim/vim60/syntax/ayacc.vim
/usr/share/vim/vim60/syntax/yacc.vim
/usr/share/a2ps/sheets/yacc.ssh

At the Redhat site I see byacc listed as a package for 7.1 and 7.3 and
you can see it's also on my 7.2 machine.  It's probably available from
Redhat for 7.2 too, I just haven't come across it in my brief search.
Do you have the disk available from which the OS was installed?  I bet
it's on there.  Or, probably bison, from the gnu site, would also work.

> On a related question. I tried the binary distribution of ldm (5.1.2),
> but it doesn't seem to work. I installed it, ran the configuration
> script, did the setuids, and set the hostname in ldmadmin. I have
> modified the ldmd.conf and borrowed the pqact.conf from my existing
> system. I then tried to create a product queue and it just hung. I have
> a pq file size of 0 and the the process pqcreate won't die. (I have had
> problems killing other processes, so this may be unrelated to LDM. I
> have an e-mail out to our tech support here.)

Were there any messages in the log?  At that point I would try to run
pqcreate directly from the command line in verbose or debug mode, which
may give you more information about any problems.  Will 'kill -9' kill
the process?

> One last thing... ldmadmin requires a fully qualified hostname. This
> system only has a hostname, no domain, because it is on a private
> network with the machine that is feeding it. This system isn't on the
> internet. Is there any problem if the fully qualified hostname has no
> domain, just the machine name?

Offhand I don't think there would be a problem.  The fully qualified
name in ldmadmin is used mainly for sending statistics to us.   If this
is an internal machine maybe you don't even want to run pqbinstats
(although please do so on your IDD machine because those are important
to us).

Regarding hostnames, the most important aspect for the ldm is that a
machine can do both a forward and reverse lookup.  So if your name
service is set up so that the hostname sans domain is resolvable to an
IP address and vice versa, it should work fine.  If that's a problem,
you can use the IP address in ldmd.conf, and the forward and reverse
lookup will be bypassed.

> I know the questions are a bit convoluted. Thanks for your help.
>
> Tom

They don't seem convoluted to me!  You're welcome.  Please let me know
how things turn out.

Anne
address@hidden                  P.O. Box 3000
                                  Boulder, CO  80307