Re: LDM: RPC access to portmapper vs firewall

Joe VanAndel wrote:

> OK, so you are saying that all communication is via RPC, and that first
> LDM tries to use port 388, and then tries to get a dynamic port thru the
> portmapper.

Yes.

> Sorry if I wasn't clear :
> spol-nssl is in Norman, for a field project.  It gets LDM feeds from
> linus.atd.ucar.edu
> moonbow.rap.ucar.edu
> eldm.fsl.noaa.gov
>
> Only the connection to moonbow shows the intermittent errors about RPC
> failures.

Then, I have another misunderstanding.  I thought this only occurred
when you first started the ldm.  Is it happening otherwise?

> Yes, forward and reverse name lookup works to moonbow.  If the problem
> re-occurs, I'll use moonbow's IP address, rather than its name.
> >

> Here's the result:
> $ ldmping moonbow.rap.ucar.edu
> May 09 19:22:22      State    Elapsed Port   Remote_Host
> rpc_stat
> May 09 19:22:22 RESPONDING   0.050303  388   moonbow.rap.ucar.edu
> May 09 19:22:47 RESPONDING   0.020030  388   moonbow.rap.ucar.edu
> May 09 19:23:12 RESPONDING   0.020033  388   moonbow.rap.ucar.edu
>
> I'm assuming the state can be "RESPONDING",  even if the portmapper is
> unreachable.

Yes, it can, as it will go through port 388.

I just made a request for a feed from moonbow on my own machine and did
not have the problem regarding contacting the moonbow's portmapper.

Is this keeping you from getting data?  I have an email in to someone
that works with moonbow to discuss their configuration.

Anne

                                  Boulder, CO  80307