sirocco's requests to thelma

Hi Bob,

I hope things are well down your way.  I was in New Orleans a few weeks
ago and had a great time!  What an interesting place.

I'm trying to get a few problems straightened out on thelma.  In
particular, I'm concerned that thelma is not handling the load well
enough, even though it's a Sun E450, quite a hefty machine.  We are
taking steps to improve the performance, including testing a 7 gigabyte
queue so that thelma can store more data.

But, I also see that sirocco is requesting the following from thelma:

Apr 24 23:02:37 milton.unidata.ucar.edu sirocco(feed)[3807]: RECLASS:
20020424220301.906 TS_ENDT
{{NNEXRAD|NOGAPS|DIFAX|FNEXRAD|NMC2|FSL2|UNIDATA,  ".

The string got chopped off in the log, but I'm guessing that you're
requesting ".*", is that right?

Do you really need to get all of this from thelma?  A few issues:

NOGAPS: You can't get NOGAPS from us, you'll have to contact FNMOC to
get that.  (Let me know if you need contact info for them.)

NEXRAD: Don't you have a dish to get the NEXRAD data?  If so, it would
be helpful if you could cut back your NEXRAD request to a minimum as the
volume of the entire feed is very large.  I recall that at one point you
mentioned getting the additional feed for redundancy purposes, but the
cost may be too high.  Indeed, that's why we don't propagate the whole
feed around our top level ring.

NMC2: This feed is HUGE.  Several times per day it gets up to 1.5
gigabytes per hour.  If you could cut back or eliminate that request it
would be very helpful.

Please let me know what you want to get.  We'll try to meet your needs,
but right now, unfortunately, we can't be profligate.

Thanks!

Anne
address@hidden                  P.O. Box 3000
                                  Boulder, CO  80307