20020418: McIDAS configuration questions (cont.)

>From: William C Klein <address@hidden>

Bill,

re: where impression that you are not getting GRID data comes from

>I think we are getting the data.  The problem looks like it lies in the
>fact that we can't see it.

I took the liberty of logging onto aeolus to poke around.  What I found
is that you are, in fact, receiving and decoding the model data.
I can look at the existence of the data from your machine:

<login as 'mcidas'>
cd workdata
dmap.k GRID

And, I can look at it remotely.  I do this by accessing the ADDE server
that is setup on aeolus.

<on my machine here at Unidata>
DATALOC ADD RTGRIDS aeolus.valpo.edu
DSINFO G RTGRIDS

        Dataset Names of Type: GRID  in Group: RTGRIDS

Name         NumPos   Content
------------ ------   --------------------------------------
ALL            900    Real-Time Grids
AVN            200    Real-Time AVN Grids
ECMWF           10    Real-Time ECMWF Grids
ETA            120    Real-Time ETA Grids
MDR             10    Real-Time MDR Grids
MISC            10    Other Real-Time Grids
MRF            100    Real-Time MRF Grids
MRF-UW           2    MRF Grids in UW stream
NGM             40    Real-Time NGM Grids
NGM-UW           2    NGM Grids in UW stream
RUC             80    Real-Time RUC Grids

DSINFO -- done

GRDLIST RTGRIDS/ETA FORM=FILE ALL
DATASET NAME: RTGRIDS/ETA
 Dataset Position  Creation Date Max Grids         Directory Title
 ----------------  ------------- --------- -------------------------------
        8             2002108       5000   ALL  00Z ETA 0  HR<=VT<=24 HR
       18             2002108       5000   ALL  00Z ETA 24 HR< VT<=48 HR
       28             2002108       5000   ALL  00Z ETA 48 HR< VT<=72 HR
       38             2002108       5000   ALL  06Z ETA 0  HR<=VT<=24 HR
       48             2002108       5000   ALL  06Z ETA 24 HR< VT<=48 HR
       68             2002108       5000   ALL  12Z ETA 0  HR<=VT<=24 HR
       78             2002108       5000   ALL  12Z ETA 24 HR< VT<=48 HR
       88             2002108       5000   ALL  12Z ETA 48 HR< VT<=72 HR
       98             2002108       5000   ALL  18Z ETA 0  HR<=VT<=24 HR
      108             2002108       5000   ALL  18Z ETA 24 HR< VT<=48 HR
GRDLIST - done

So, this says that your impression of not having gridded data must come
through there being no access through the MCGUI.  As I noted some
time ago, this is one of the weaknesses of the current MCGUI: no interface
developed to look at GRID data.

>I have attached the ldmd.conf as text.  Please let me know if this how it
>needs to look.

Since your machine is producing decoded model data in GRID format, you
must have the entry in ~ldm/etc/pqact.conf setup correctly.

>> HRS  .*      PIPE
>>      xcd_run HRS

>where in the file does this need to be added?  I'm not seeing a proper
>placement.

This entry can be put anywhere in ~ldm/etc/pqact.conf.  As I look at
your pqact.conf file, I see it right near the top:

# Additions for McIDAS-XCD
# According to
# http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/770/mcx/xcd_start.html
#
DDPLUS|IDS      ^.*
        PIPE    xcd_run DDS
HRS     ^.*
        PIPE    xcd_run HRS

The entry that goes in ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf is the one that requests the
data from an upstream feed site.  You already have this setup:

request MCIDAS|HRS  ".*"  129.93.52.150

This line says that you are requesting all products in the MCIDAS and
HRS (the stream containing model data) from the host whose IP address
is 129.93.52.150.  The fact that new GRID files are being produced says
that this was done correctly.

Given that the MCGUI doesn't have (yet) a nice, simple interface to GRID
display, you will have to run McIDAS commands to produce gridded displays.
To get started, I can recommend looking through the GRID section of the
McIDAS Learning Guide:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/780/mclearn

I am hoping to add GRID access to MCGUI by the next release, 7.90, which
will be some time this summer.

Tom