20020417: recurring LDM shutdown problem

>From: "Kevin Polston" <address@hidden>

Kevin,

>I don't know what the deal is but it seems like my ldm stops running and
>it seems to be becoming a little more frequent. I never had this problem
>before but now it is becoming more than just a nuisance. Has this
>happened to other people before?

This is not some sort of known problem.

>If so what can I do about it?

As I said in my previous email:

"When this happens, you should check the end of the current LDM log file.
Before you restart this would be ~ldm/logs/ldmd.log.  After you restart,
this would be ~ldm/logs/ldmd.log.1.  (This comment assumed that your
logging is setup and working correctly, of course)."

When you look at the log file, you should pass along what you see back
to us so we have some sort of clue as to what may be going on.  Who
knows, it may have something to do with something in your operating
system that application of OS patches might fix.  Until we see what
is being written to the log file when the LDM shuts down, we can
have no way of advising you.

>Is there
>anything to look for (ie, symptoms) that would suggest possibly losing
>your ldm connection (other than it actually going down and noticing no
>new products).

The LDM log file should tell us why your LDM is exiting.

>I've rebooted my machine when this happens to try and
>"clear things out" and then restart it but it still seems to happen.

Rebooting should not have an effect.

>haven't noticed any particular pattern either (like it always stopping
>at 4pm) so I can't help there. It just seems random and I don't know
>why.

Again, as I said in my previous email:

"We need more information on why it stopped."

Tom