Re: 20020326: HELP

Unidata Support wrote:

> I am trying to follow your preinstallation instructions and have come to
> a few problems.
>
> 1.      My first problem involves the ntp program.  It doesn't work, but
> I will try to get answers from them.
> 2.      Under configuring the operating system as root, it says to
> "modify the following lines in file /etc/syslog.conf".  The instructions
> don't say what lines to modify, only what they should look like after
> modification.  No lines in my file looked anything like the instructions
> so I just added them.
> 3.      Under USER 'ldm'Account, what common group id should I use?
> What is that 5th bullet statement, where is this .cshrc file?  What am I
> supposed to do with it?  I skipped that whole section because I had no
> idea what I needed to do.
> 4.      Under Creating the LDM Symbolic link directories, I cant even
> change to the ldm directory.  I get permission denied, which really
> seems ridiculous because that file was created when I created the ldm
> user account, I thought it was the ldm user account home directory.
> Seems like the ldm user should be able to use that folder.
>
> I guess it is pretty obvious that I am Linux/Unix illiterate.  Any help
> you can provide would be appreciated.  My operating system is Linux.  Is
> it possible to use this LDM program with a windows based program?  It
> has taken our system administrator months just to get this Linux machine
> working and now I am supposed to get the software running and I can see
> that I will be struggling with this for quite some time!  It would be a
> lot easier in windows.
>
> Ron White
>

> ------- End of Forwarded Message

Hello Ron,

We do not currently have a Windows based version of the LDM.

And, I'm sorry but Unidata is funded by NSF to provide support to only
certain types of institutions.  Please see
http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/legal/participation.php for information
regarding our participation policy.  In particular:

"Unidata provides direct support via email for its software packages to
institutions offering college-level courses for credit, and to
non-profit institutions with education or research missions."

If you wish, you could join the ldm-users mailing list (see
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/mailinglist/mailing-list-form.html.)  It's
possible that if you post your questions there someone may help you.
And, you are welcome to use any of our on-line materials, including our
support archives available at
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpsedocs/ghldm.html and
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/search.html.

Good luck with your LDM.