Re: SUNY-Albany and AFIT

David Knight wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>      I'm sorry if this bothered you. That was not my intent.
> >
> > David,
> >
> > Did you send this same message to all your other downstream sites?
>
> No I did not send it to any of our other downstream sites.
> But certainly the *exact* same conditions apply to *all* IDD
> participants (including us). I accept that our upstream site
> is under no obligation to continue feeding us, that they are
> not responsible for what may happen to our machines, and
> that they can discontinue at any time. If you are not happy
> with these conditions then perhaps the IDD is not for you.
> I sent it specifically because I had expressed potential concerns
> about feeding your machine based only on its IP number. We serve
> data to more than 50 other Universities, and I believe you are
> the only one that does not allow DNS lookups of their LDM machine.
> It is less secure feeding to an IP number than it is
> feeding to a named machine where DNS is checked to insure
> the name matches the IP. I was simply stating that I was
> willing to accept this and continue to feed your site.
>
> > We do pay to belong to UCAR, just the same as other users.
>
> Belonging to UCAR has nothing to do with this. While Unidata is
> affiliated with UCAR, I don't believe that Unidata receives any
> funding from UCAR, and, I do not believe you have to be a member
> of UCAR in order to participate in the Unidata program (I'm sure
> the folks at Unidata will correct me if I am wrong). The IDD relay
> system is a purely voluntary effort by Unidata Universities.
> The Unidata Program Center gets funds from the NSF to support this effort.
> We act as an IDD relay of NOAAPORT data to 6-12 other Universities.
> We do this voluntarily, we recieve no funds for this effort.
> As far as I know all the other Unidata IDD relay sites work
> on the same basis. There is no obligation to continue other
> than our desire to improve education and research.
>
> The University at Albany is also in the unique position to have
> access to the NLDN lightning data. After negotiation with GDS,
> the private company that collects this data, we have obtained
> permission to distribute this data to other Universities for
> research and educational purposes. GDS is under no obligation
> to allow us to continue this distribution. Again, we are doing
> this on a completely voluntary basis - we receive no funding
> to support this effort. Currently more than 50 Universities
> benefit from this arrangement. GDS can terminate our permission
> to distribute this data at any time, and for any reason, so we have
> to be careful that the terms of the agreement are not violated by anybody.
> This puts me in an uncomfortable position as I would like to
> be able to freely give the data to everybody. Instead I have to
> be careful how the data is used and distributed so that I
> can continue to feed the data freely to other Universities.
> Again, the University at Albany is under no obligation to
> [...]

Hi all,

I want to reiterate a few points that have already been made and add a
few more.

Like David said, participation in the IDD is strictly voluntary and
participation is free.  Unidata is funded strictly by NSF.  And, no, you
do not have to be a UCAR member to participate in the IDD.  There are
more Unidata members than there are UCAR members.

As I've said to Jeff S. in another email, I understand David's concerns
entirely.  Indeed, David has been extremely helpful in getting data to
AFIT and continues to be so in spite of his legitimate concerns.

I believe that at this point all that remains is for us to find a NEXRAD
feed for AFIT, and for Jeff S. to get his administrators to allow
striker in to relay the NLDN data (if that's indeed what you want, Jeff)
and also allow whichever site will be feeding him NEXRAD.

Please let me know if anyone has any further questions or concerns.

Anne
                                  Boulder, CO  80307