Re: Fwd: More NH network changes

Larry Riddle wrote:

> Anne:
>
> Just received this.  Looks like aeolus connectivity just got better and may
> get better still.  Comments?  Am I understanding it correctly?
>
> Larry

Hi Larry,

Good work!  Using lots of bandwidth is rewarded by giving you more!

My understanding is that the new switch can negotiate a speed with the
remote site, and if both can transfer at the 100Mb rate, that's what
you'll get.  Coupled with the upcoming gigabyte link, this sounds like a
significant improvement.  Glad to hear it!

Sounds like it may be a few weeks until the new link and the new ports
are installed, so I don't think you'll see a difference right away.

Anne

> >Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 08:31:29 -0800 (PST)
> >From: David Newton <address@hidden>
> >Subject: More NH network changes
> >
> >     Hello oomputer network users in Nierenberg Hall
> >
> >     The upgrade of the supervisor module on the building ethernet switch
> >   went smoothly this morning.  This new module will allow us to add
> >   a Gigabit link into the building that will be 6 times faster than the
> >   existing link.  Additionally, in the next weeks every ethernet port
> >   in the building will be upgraded to a autosensing 10/100 BaseT port.
> >   These upgrades are coming from upper campus NGN network monies.
> >   Nierenberg Hall is one biggest users of bandwidth on the UCSD campus
> >   so it was an easy sell to have these monies spent on us.
>
> (Anyone want to speculate on why Nierenberg Hall, home of the infamous
> aeolus.ucsd.edu, is one of the biggest bandwidth users at UCSD? --L)

>     -----===(*  Climate's what we expect, but weather's what we
>    Larry Riddle : Climate Research Division : Scripps Institution of
> Oceanography
>        University of California, San Diego : La Jolla, California  92093-0224
>        Phone: (858) 534-1869 : Fax: (858) 534-8561 : E-Mail: address@hidden

                                  Boulder, CO  80307