Re: Aeolus OS

Larry Riddle wrote:

> >What exactly was the question you asked him?  Does this mean you can't
> >upgrade the OS?  Or install patches?
>
> I just forwarded your message to him (editing out a little bit, here and
> there).  So, by inference, the question was "Do we have V5.1 or patches to
> V5.0?"  His initial reply was what I sent you.
>
> A little later, he sent additional info:
>
> >Larry --
> >
> >I'm so far behind in all the everyday stuff that unless
> >I get any help chances are no Alpha machines will get an
> >OS upgrade anytime soon. Upgrading should be considered a
> >luxury activity. I'm dedicated to emergencies and answering
> >questions these days, and also installing new systems.
> >
> >Martin
>
> What this augers for the LDM, I just don't know.
>
> Larry
>
>       ---===---=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=====[\/]=====-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=---===---
>     -----===(*  Climate's what we expect, but weather's what we
> get.  *)===-----
>    Larry Riddle : Climate Research Division : Scripps Institution of
> Oceanography
>        University of California, San Diego : La Jolla, California  92093-0224
>        Phone: (858) 534-1869 : Fax: (858) 534-8561 : E-Mail: address@hidden

Hmmm, what constitutes an emergency?  I'm sure we could create an
emergency if we had to! :-)  I'm sorry your support is so overloaded.

Well, tomorrow's a Tuesday.  (The last two crash events have been on a
Tuesday.)  If the LDM crashes, please contact me ASAP so I can look
around.

One possibility is that there is some system utility that is corrupting
the queue.  Because of this possibility, I wrote a tiny script that
writes the output of 'ps -ef' to a file in the logs directory called
ps.log.   The script is called ps_snapshot, and I put it in the bin
directory.  Then I made a cron entry to run the script every 5 minutes.
This too will eat up disk space.  Tomorrow AM I'll check in and trim
down the file so it won't get too big.   But, if we're lucky we'll have
the output of 'ps' just before a crash.

Anne
                                  Boulder, CO  80307