Re: 20020213: [Fwd: Re: [Fwd: 20020207: missing products]]

Harry Edmon wrote:

> Well, I have some further information - but I don't know quite what to make of
> it.  I turned on verbose logging on air, and sure enough, when the connection
> sunny times out, air receives/sends nothing for a whole minute from anyone!
> Sometimes this occurs during a time out I have with dragon.geog.ubc.ca, but
> not
> always.  I was running "top" during one outage, and the iowait time goes to
> 90%,
> and the top process is the one receiving from sunny.
>
> If I get ambious this weekend I plan to turn on verbose logging on sunny, and
> may even run tcpdump on both systems to watch the traffic between air and
> sunny.
>
> At this time, my candidates for the problem are:
>
> 1. A locking problem with the ldm.
> 2. A Solaris bug.
> 3. A network problem.
>
> I'm pretty sure it is not #3.
>
> --
> Dr. Harry Edmon                 E-MAIL: address@hidden
> 206-543-0547                            address@hidden
> Dept of Atmospheric Sciences    FAX:    206-543-0308
> University of Washington, Box 351640, Seattle, WA 98195-1640

Hi Harry,

If you have a debugger on air and you have source code and you are
watching when the time out occurs, you could attach the debugger to to
process that is receiving from sunny and just see where the code is and
what it's doing.  Maybe it is indeed waiting for a lock to be released.

Anne
                                  Boulder, CO  80307