20020222: ldm question

>From: "Chris Calvert" <address@hidden>

>I've got a machine in front of a firewall requesting data from a machine
>behind a firewall. Opening port 388 to the machine behind the firewall
>doesn't work, because the connection times out. I have to open all ports
>before a connection is made and data flows. Is there an additional port
>I have to open to the machine behind the firewall running ldm?
>
>Thanks. Relevant info below...
>
>version: 5.1.4
>machine: Dell Poweredge 6440 Server
>OS: Red Hat Linux 7.1
>
>chris

Is your LDM behind the firewall installed with the ~ldm/bin/rpc.ldmd
executable setuid root? That is needed for the LDM to run on port 388.
If you have not done this configuration, the LDM will have to be dynamically
assigned a port at runtime- which is one reason you would have to open port 111
and those above 1024.

On the machine behind the firewall, try running "rpcinfo -p" to see
what port program 300029 is running on. If it is not 388,
then you have not installed the rpc.ldmd setuid root.

Steve Chiswell