20020211: [Fwd: Re: [Fwd: 20020207: missing products]]

>From: Harry Edmon <address@hidden>

Hi Harry,

As openers, I have been following your interchange with Anne with great
interest.

>Another bit of news - I am running ldmping on both air89 and sunny89 (they are
>pinging each other).  None of the pings are more than 0.5 seconds, and yet I
>still see the time out on a MCIDAS product.  I'm beginning to think  this is
>something other than a network issue.

Given that we can ping/ldmping sunny89, but not air89, and given that
you see RPC timeouts on your local net, I came to the exact opposite
conclusion: it sounds like a hardware problem there.

Chiz and I were chatting about what was going on, and we agreed that a
useful test would be to swap the switch (router) connections for
sunny89 and air89 (we have a setup that makes this sort of network port
swapping easy; you may not).  If you start seeing problems on sunny89
it would mean that the problem is in the switch (e.g., bad port).  If
the problem continues with air89, it means that the problem is in
either the cabling to the box, or in the NIC installed in it.

What do you think?

Tom