20020201: realtime FTPs to motherlode.ucar.edu (cont.)

>From: "Kevin Polston" <address@hidden>

Kevin,

>Sorry its been a few days getting back with you. We have just had this
>huge ice storm here and I didn't come to work on Wednesday, and of
>course we've had some power issues (its been off and on now after
>making it through all the storm with it on).

No problem.  We have been quite busy ourselves.

>I have recruited a friend
>of mine from AWC to help me install LDM....we were planning on doing it
>either this evening or tomorrow.

Excellent.

>Tomorrow looks like it will be the
>better option. Before we get started I just wanted to know if there is
>anything else I need to know about getting connected before we start. I
>know you gave me the address of the machine that we will connect to
>(papagayo.unl.edu) but is there any sort of password that is needed or
>anything else related to connecting I need to know?

No, but the request for service will be denied until I add you to the
allow list of hosts on papagayo.  To do this, I need to know the name
of the machine that you will be running your LDM on.  In my last email
I asked if this was, in fact, mkc-65-26-24-74.kc.rr.com, or if you
were going to install on another machine.  From your note below, that
email may have been received as a blank message...

>I am sure we will
>be going through your ldm webpage and following the steps of how to
>install but we haven't looked at those in depth to this point.

It really is pretty easy.

>You asked about data feeds....well I would like to receive in addition
>to the satellite imagery all the other possible feeds to try it out and
>see how that works.

OK.

>(Would that also include lightning data?)

No, the NLDN lightning data is only available to Unidata university
participants.  Sorry.

>I have
>been acquiring through ftp some radar data from the University of
>Arizona.

The NEXRAD radar data in NOAAPORT is available to IDD participants.

>I have been corresponding with a guy named Mike Leuthold.

Mike is a friend.

>They
>apparently take the NIDS data and make regional composites of the
>imagery every 10 minutes (if they had a faster computer he said they
>would do it every 5 minutes).....

We (Unidata) are producing composites every 5 minutes and putting
them in a stream tagged FNEXRAD.  We are using GEMPAK to do the compositing
and saving into GRIB messages.  Since you will be using GEMPAK, you
will be able to decode those GRIB messages and display them on your
machine.  I am currently working on extending the McIDAS-XCD grib decoding
to be able to decode these GRIB messages and turn them into images
in AREA format.

>and save it in a McIdas area file
>format. The problem he is having is that there is talk of disbanding
>the meteorology department there or maybe it might have to move to move
>into another department.

Ouch!  This is news to me.  I will have to touch base with Mike about
this!

>Of course I am concerned about losing the
>radar data and thought you might want to take a look at it.

For examples of the radar composites available in our FNEXRAD feed,
check out:

http://motherlode.ucar.edu/unidata/images/nids/gdradr.html

>If you go
>to their website you can see regional images and they have a national
>composite loop. I understand there is something similar to that with
>the GDRADR option but perhaps you might be able to make those images
>there....in the area file format.

GDRADR's output is grib.  I am working on the conversion to AREA format
right now.  When complete, we will serve this data through McIDAS ADDE
to all Unidata participants.

>Here is the
>website......http://www.atmo.arizona.edu/products/wximagery/     scroll
>down to the radar images and take a look. Here is the northeast US for
>today for example.......  http://www.atmo.arizona.edu/gifs/RADAR_NE.GIF

Looks good!

>Referring to one of your questions from below.......you had sent a
>message to me earlier in the week before I sent my last e-mail (about
>where to connect) but it was an empty message. It had your header
>information but there was no nothing in the body of the e-mail.

OK, that explains a lot.

>Well wish me luck. Hope this goes process goes smoothly. I will let you
>know how it goes.

I will be reading email this weekend, so don't hesitate to ask questions
if/when needed.

Tom